Welsummers originated around the turn of the 20th century in Holland by crossing Partridge Cochins, Partridge Wyandottes and Partridge Leghorns. Eventually Barnevelders and Rhode Island Reds were used. Welsummer chicks are dark brown with light red streaks down the back. The head, chest and abdomen are light red. They have a single comb and clean, yellow legs and feet. Adult males have rich golden-brown head, neck and saddle plumage. The back, wing fronts and wing bows are reddish brown. The main tail, sickles and wing coverts are greenish black forming a wing bar when the wing is folded. The breast, body, fluff and thigh plumage is black with red mottling. Adult females have a golden-brown head, while the hackle feathers are golden brown. The back and wing bows are reddish brown stippled with black, and the wing coverts are chestnut brown. The main tail feathers are black with the coverts being edged with brown. The thigh, breast and front of neck plumage is chestnut red while the body and fluff plumage is brown with gray shading.
Mature weight 6-7 lbs.
These are day-old chicks. 1 pack = 10 birds.
Important things to know before you order:
- Chicks are delivered to your post office. It is your responsibility to pick up your chick from the post office.
- Chicks cannot be returned.
- If you would like to modify or cancel your chick order, changes must be made within 24 hours of ordering by contacting us at (660) 269-5250 or email@example.com.
- Chick orders ship 2-6 weeks after ordering. You will receive an estimated ship date 3 days after your order is placed.
- For more detailed information about ordering chicks online visit our information page here.